So Many Fish – So Little Time
Shamus spends his life fly fishing. He has over 30 years intensive experience studying and catching New Zealand trout and salmon. A former Fisheries Ranger, Shamus’s masters thesis studied the New Zealand salmon fishery.
Shamus learnt his profession on South Island fishing rivers (Rangitata, Waitaki, Oreti, Eglinton, Tekapo, Mataura river). He has also fished in Scandinavia, Scotland and Australia. He is now fortunate to guide on world-class Lake Taupo, the Tongariro River and other North Island wilderness streams.
Shamus understands adventure. He has traveled in 40 countries, circumnavigated the world on a ship, and twice backpacked around the globe, adventuring in Europe, Africa, Asia, the Tibetan Plateau, the Arctic Circle and the Amazon.
Born into a fly fishing guiding family – Shamus has made fishing his life. Academic study and years of fly fishing helps Shamus know where trout are and how to catch them. These days Shamus’s passion is helping clients catch trout with a fly. (Warning: Shamus gets really excited when you hook up). Whether guiding, scouting local waters, or just fishing, Shamus and his team of hand-picked guides would love to “see you on the river”.
What They Say
- “Shamus, have you ever worked in the theatre?” (Jack – USA)
- “I enjoyed our time together. I certainly learnt a lot and would not have caught those fish without your help.” (Wayne, Australia)
- “Fantastic, a life-changing experience” (Chad – USA)
- “Why are the fish all 4lbs” (Henk, Holland)
- “I have fished with many guides over the years. I can say, without reservation, that you are the most energetic and entertaining of them all. We will always look back with many fond memories of you and this incredible day. Your passion for life, for nature and for your work, is obvious and admirable.” (Mike, USA)
- “Taxidermy?” (Bernard, Tahiti)
- “It was a very special fishing expedition for me: in no small part, due to your guidance and professionalism. Apart from that it was bloody good fun.” (Professor Joe, UK)
- “Shamus, thanks for a truly memorable days fishing. You’ll definitely be top of my list if anyone asks about learning to fish.” (Ben, NZ)
- “I’m very grateful that my son Jim got the “once in a lifetime” chance to catch a rainbow in New Zealand, the Mecca for all fly-fishing.” (Dave, USA)
- “Big fish!” (Takashi & Kama, Japan)
- “Thanks heaps for an awesome days fishing and neat photos.” (Mark, NZ)
- “We’re coming back next year, please don’t move” (Jack and Laura, UK)
- “This days fishing THE Turangi river with the best guide of the spot is unforgettable moment of our short, cold but very relaxing holiday in NZ.” (Peter & Dominique, New Caledonia)
- “Unbelievable, it’s like fishing in a goldfish bowl” (Davo – Aust)
- “Fishing was great, so was the conversation” (Bernd, Germany)
- “We really had great fun time, with fishing with you. Even now, Yoko occationaly happen to remember with out no reason but says “Come O-n fish” sometime” (Yoko and Hiroshi, Japan)
- “My experience with you will last a lifetime” (Kurt & Sonya, Germany)
- “Shamus, you’re full of it” (Shamus’s wife)